LJ6
Part (1):
Social media gives a huge space for people to expand their opinions on everything and have the full freedom of commenting on other's lives. As much as there is space for freedom there should be some guidelines and ethics to run social media. An example of those ethics can be maintaining the privacy of others information and not sharing them without their permission or claiming others work as your own work without giving them the credit for it. The ethics state that there should no plagiarism practiced when using websites. I believe that social media should be used correctly in order to benefit from it otherwise it can be a huge danger for the society. For example, we can see it as a place for finding new jobs whether in your area or all around the world. Social media can be treated as a great search engine for travelers and provide them with helpful reviews. Also it is a great connection source for meeting new friends and finding true love through online dating apps. Throughout this course I learned that media is a tool that we are being watched with and controlled by. It is a tool to make us believe what is available for us and not look for more proof or evidence. Therefore, I am more careful when it comes to getting true new through media and believing everything I hear or read. Media is still a part of my life mainly for knowledge, research, and entertainment.
Part (2):
Propaganda and social media lies are very common these days. It is amazing how fast fake news can spread and reach millions of views, likes, and even reviews. It is important to do your research before believing anything you read or hear through social media by looking for other sources and that can be non- virtual such as a new book or the library in general. I definitely enjoy watching historical documentaries bur won't rely on all the information I learn from them. I think that unfortunately there is a lot of virtual work that is well produced and documented is being wasted and compared to other work that is not as accurate and is not based on enough evidence. The way I decide whether this work is real or not is by thinking about reality and comparing it with social media, never depend on one source, and always go back in the history of things.
“Top 10 Ethical Issues Involved in Social Media Use.” Pouted Magazine, 24 Dec. 2018, https://www.pouted.com/2014-ethical-issues-involved-social-media-use/.
“Lies, Propaganda and Fake News: A Challenge for Our Age.” BBC Future, BBC, https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20170301-lies-propaganda-and-fake-news-a-grand-challenge-of-our-age.
https://universe.byu.edu/2018/12/26/fake-news-influence-spreads-quickly-on-social-media/
Hello Yara,
ReplyDeleteYour views on propaganda and social media are very true. It is unfortunate. Even when it comes to certain books these days, we must research our authors and those who are telling a story. The internet is supposed to be fast and reliable. To me it is sad the opinions have ruled the internet over fact.