Metric and Analytics : IJ 2.
After reading chapter six I feel like our trust in search engines and media in general is big, however, it gets to the point that media shapes our thoughts and ideas by providing us with a specific amount of information that it wants us to know. In regards to the information mentioned in the articles I was amazed by how much control google has over the information that it collects from us or the information it provides us with. The need of the media does not only revolve around entertainment and communication there other uses for it such as online shopping, or educational reasons such as virtual books, another use would be marketing agencies and sales associates that promote private and public information. Reading those articles made me realize that our information is collected online but it is taken care of by agencies. Which means that I do not mind sharing personal information but I would feel very comfortable when I know that this data will not be shared or leaked to any other individual. My use for social media will remain the same but I will continue to always change my passwords and log in information in order to stay safe. I will never share any private information online or with others and that way I can say that I will safely benefit from the media and try to avoid its dangers. I am more aware that I should not ever listen to one source or believe everything I see online. My research should be done through multiple websites and even outside many non-virtual sources because of the high speed of technology when spreading news. I believe that there is always a possibility for the information to change or even disappear since there is no proof of its existence. I feel that in regards to bigger companies they are more capable of maintaining a high secured system that protects its data and saves it for a longer period of time. This is why the danger would be higher when using media for personal use and not school or working use!
In terms of social media firms, I believe they may try to make constitutional distinctions between "mining information" and "selling personal data behaviors" by looking at the broader picture. And the general public do not perceive all of these monetization techniques as the same manipulation of their personal privacy for monetary advantage. Which is scary!
ReplyDelete