We are data LJ-2
The book starts with a preface stating that Google was trying to find and create new policies and regulations for Europe. "How we come to understand ourselves and our place in the world." (P.11). In the introduction the book talks about how a digital device (computers, phones) shapes our lives and gives limited knowledge in order to make us believe in specific forms of ideas. Algorithm is more than a regular search that we as users of digital devices search through the google search bar. The meaning behind it explains the long digital process a computer would run in order to match the similar information we provided it with. Another thing that amazed me after reading (We Are Data ) is the categories google creates when publishing the information. For example, determining the gender of the user is a new update that google added before showing any information depending on the gender of the previous search. Knowing this information is definitely very important for me. Since it first helps understand the connection between our real life and the digital life. I am more careful of the words I say around digital devices such as Alexa or the computers because I am aware of what these devices are capable of doing and how many ads, emails, or even promotions I will be receiving virtually. In a professional capacity I will be avoiding talking about anything that relates to politics, economics, or private owned businesses that we should not discuss with cow-workers. My use of media will be non-stop since I am first attached to it, I consider as a source of knowledge and entertainment, and a main resource to depend on in my field of study and work.
Algorithm is a new term to something that we have been living in ever since we started using computers. Now I able to spread the knowledge, choose my words when I am around computer devices, and be more aware of what to expect when searching for products.
Hi Yara,
ReplyDeleteWhile I have been aware of technology and the Internet's ability to track us and records our histories for a while now, there is still one thing that I just can't wrap my head around. As you mentioned, you will be more aware of what you SAY around devices, especially smart devices. I cannot ethically understand how our own personal devices are actually recording our voices as part of their data collection now. As Cheney-Lippold (2019) discusses on p.6, "these identifications affect our lives," whether we realize it or not.
Hey Yara,
ReplyDeleteIt is so sad that we live in so much fear. Sometimes I have the same feeling as you getting close to a computer or my phone, I tend to have a little bit more precautious of what I say. Sad reality of this century.