Maturing Online - LJ1
Social Media is the new life director for my generation. If it is led the right way then it can be on my side and if it is led the wrong way then it can be against me. The things that I do on social media are keeping my social life. Simply by contacting my friends and family in the States and out of the States. Making phone calls, texting, posting on Facebook, commenting on others posts, and saving good memories through photos. I would have great conversations with others about politics, health issues, pollution, and social injustice cases; therefore I do think before I post since I believe that everything online will last in people's memories. I tend to post great pictures of myself to show my beauty and present the best first impression of myself, and let's not forget great pictures need great captions.
What I try to avoid doing on social media are things that will make me stay out of trouble and protect me and other people from getting emotionally hurt. I will never judge anyone! This is one thing that I love about social media. You can unfollow, block and unblock, add or remove anyone who affects me negatively is an unnecessary follower; therefore I do not judge people and if I feel that I have a lot to talk about with them I just remove them in order to avoid hurting their feelings. I avoid getting in people's business. Another thing that social media can not do is read your mind! If I feel that this person is going through something I will give them a call and listen to their tone and voice since they do not owe any explanation on social media. I created my own lifestyle and routine that I follow so I try not to let social media force any actions on me unless I really want to. I follow a lot of influencers. Their posts and videos are not 100% true so if they post that they attempt the gym everyday that will not put the pressure on me because I believe that I need to enjoy what I do in order to have passion for things.
Obviously like any other behaviors that I practiced when I was younger, social media witnessed some unprofessional behaviors of me. I became a better user now after my immature posts. For example I would have a lack of empathy towards others. A woman would post her new born baby and my cruel comment would be " Even cats can give birth, who cares about your baby." I used to post a lot of personal financial information to show off. Bad choice of language. What I wished I knew about social media is how fast things can happen and how easy they can go wrong. I will never quit social media because I simply need it. It helps me express myself, show people what I want them to see, and communicate with them.
I love how forthcoming you are about the mistakes you made with social media in the past. We all have done dumb things and with such a crazy convoluted internet, it probably will never affect us. I definitely agree with never quitting social media, I don't know if I am addicted to it but I sure do love it.
ReplyDelete